Potatoes aren’t the only option when you want a mashed side dish for your meal. Mashed beans pair well with a main course like grilled fish or chicken, and they provide extra protein and fiber. These mashed white beans are flavored with fresh herbs and smoked paprika.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans low-sodium white beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- ½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp fine ground sea salt
- Warm the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook for 1 more minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and let simmer for 3 minutes, stirring the beans occasionally.
- Remove the beans from the heat and add the chives, rosemary, lemon zest, smoked paprika, and salt. Use a potato masher to mash and stir the beans until almost smooth, but still slightly chunky.
- Return to low heat and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until the mash thickens and is heated through. Serve warm.