Store-bought granola bars are often loaded with added sugar and preservatives. Keep your snacking healthy by making a batch at home. These granola bars are packed with fiber-rich oatmeal and protein-rich seeds, and they are naturally sweetened with honey and almond butter.
Yield: 6 bars
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 minutes
Refrigeration time: 3 hours
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 ¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup raw, shelled pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, chopped apricots)
- 1 tbsp unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a small saucepan, stir together the almond butter and honey over medium-low heat, just until smooth and warm, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, and salt. Pour the almond butter and honey into the bowl and stir well to coat all ingredients.
- Line an 8" x 4" loaf pan with parchment paper that extends at least ½ inch beyond the edge of the pan on all sides.
- Transfer the granola to the pan and use greased hands to press it very firmly into the pan. Pressing is important to ensure the granola bars hold together once set.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours. Grasp the edge of the parchment paper and remove the granola from the pan. Cut into 6 bars. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and store refrigerated for up to one week.