Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan-fried, deep-fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich, Healthier Shrimp and Vegetable Fried Rice. That- that's about it. – Bubba
When finely chopped, cauliflower is similar in size and texture to rice. It absorbs the flavors of the vegetables, shrimp, and soy sauce in this healthier version of fried rice. Adding extra cauliflower is also a great way to stretch your recipe servings further while limiting excess calories. A combination of brown rice and a variety of vegetables keep this meal nutritious and filling.
Tips for the cook: Freshly cooked rice is tender and it breaks easily when stirred. For the best results with fried rice, use leftover rice that has been stored in the refrigerator. To add new flavors and nutrients to the dish, consider experimenting with different types of whole grain rice such as red rice, black (Forbidden) rice, or wild rice.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 ½ cups cauliflower, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 20 medium cooked shrimp, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high. Add the garlic, onion, celery, and cauliflower. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften and brown. Add the bell peppers and cook 30 seconds more.
- Stir in the sugar snap peas and the rice. Cook for 1-2 minutes more. Add the shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes just until the shrimp are heated through. Stir in the soy sauce and black pepper. Serve warm.