This easy bean dip is loaded with black beans for protein and fiber. Ricotta cheese adds more protein and makes it creamy without the need for high-fat sour cream. It’s topped off with just a little shredded cheddar to add more flavor. While it’s great with baked tortilla chips, you can make it an even lighter snack by using it as a dip for sliced vegetables like carrots, celery and cucumbers.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- ¼ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp fine ground sea salt
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the beans in a medium bowl and use a potato masher to mash the beans until they are combined, but still chunky.
- Stir in the salsa, ricotta cheese, garlic powder, cumin and salt. Transfer the dip to a 3 to 4 cup baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle the cheese over the dip.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the dip is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the green onions and cilantro, and serve warm.