Frozen treats make a great dessert during the hot summer, but chocolate-dipped ice cream balls and cheesecake bites can be loaded with calories and saturated fat. These banana bites provide a healthier option with the same delicious flavors as higher-calorie frozen desserts.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 2 ½ hours
- 2 medium bananas
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Optional toppings: chopped pistachios, chopped peanuts, unsweetened shredded coconut
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Peel the bananas and cut each into ½ to ¾ inch pieces. Place the banana pieces on the parchment paper. Insert a toothpick into each piece.
- Freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes. Stop and stir every 30 seconds to prevent burning. Once smooth, remove from the microwave.
- Place any chopped toppings on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
- Remove the bananas from the freezer. Using the toothpick to hold the banana pieces, dip each in the melted chocolate. Let the excess chocolate drain well. The banana bites should be only lightly coated. Roll in any of your desired toppings. If the chocolate begins to cool and thicken, place it back in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Return the bananas to the baking sheet and freeze about 15 more minutes before serving.