Kale and broccoli are available year-round and are loaded with disease-fighting antioxidants. This salad combines them with a rich garlic dressing and nutty sesame flavors.
Tip: Roasted garlic is delicious in salad dressings and as a spread for sandwiches. Roast several heads early in the week and keep them in the fridge to use within a few days.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups chopped kale leaves
- ¾ cup chopped broccoli slaw
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp honey
- ¼ tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
Optional toppings: sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, chopped peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the top quarter off the garlic head so that the cloves are exposed. Set the head of garlic on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with one teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap the garlic in the foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully open the foil to allow the garlic to cool.
- Place the kale in a medium bowl and add one teaspoon of olive oil. With clean hands, massage the oil into the kale for about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli slaw and onion to the kale.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a separate large bowl. Discard the skins. Whisk the rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and orange zest into the garlic until smooth. Next, whisk in the sesame oil and then the remaining olive oil.
- Add the vegetables to the bowl with the dressing and toss to coat all ingredients. Sprinkle with optional toppings and serve.